Image of the Month (2011)

  • December 2011 Image of the Month

    The University Hospital Maintenance Department began collecting for the Christmas Toy Fund in 1981 to ensure that hospitalized patients received gifts during the holiday.

    Image ID:  P16.1.11, #0170

  • November 2011 Image of the Month

    University Hospital was the location for UAB staff and employees to receive an inoculation as part of a nation-wide swine flu vaccination effort held during the fall of 1976.

    Image ID:  P7.4.1, #043

  • October 2011 Image of the Month

    Brown became chief librarian at the Medical Center in 1955 and in October 1971 became the first director of the newly opened Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences.  Brown retired from UAB in 1977.

    Image ID: P7.2.1 , #044

  • September 2011 Image of the Month

    The university fielded a club team in 1989 but in the fall of 1991 UAB began play as an NCAA Division III team.  In the game played in Jackson, Mississippi, the Blazers lost to Millsaps College.

    Image ID:  P6.1, #2742

  • August 2011 Image of the Month

    The Beta Zeta chapter of Alpha Sigma Tau was established in May of 1970 as the university’s first social sorority.

    Image ID:  P7.3.1, #1025

  • July 2011 Image of the Month

    A group supporting a moratorium against whaling brought a 100-foot hot-air balloon to UAB in order to call attention to the plight of the nautical mammals.

    Image ID:  P7.4.1, #1123

  • June 2011 Image of the Month

    President Charles A. McCallum, Jr., speaks to the crowd assembled for the ceremony.  When opened in 1993 the building was named in honor of Alabama Representative Tom Bevill. Seated on the platform with Dr. McCallum are UAB officials (left to right) Drs. John R. Durant, Vice President for Health Affairs; Victor J. Matukas, Dean of Dentistry; and James A. Pittman, Jr., Dean of Medicine.

    Image ID: P6 #01

  • May 2011 Image of the Month

    UAB President Joseph F. Volker (left) and members of the Bell family attend the dedication of the Bell Building.  Part of the Ullman-Bell complex, the building was named in honor of the late Dr. George C. Bell, who had served as the first principal of the Ullman High School from 1937 until 1965.

    Image ID:  P1, #0364

  • April 2011 Image of the Month

    Brooks Robinson, a Hall of Famer and former Baltimore Oriole, threw out the first pitch at the dedicatory game at the Young Memorial Field.  The UAB Blazers defeated Ole Miss 8 to 2.  UAB’s first on-campus home for baseball had been in use for just over a year when it was formally dedicated in honor of the founding dean of the School of Business and the Vice President for Finance at the time of his death in 1983.

    Image ID:  P6.1, #0698

  • March 2011 Image of the Month

    Prior to being displayed at the Birmingham Museum of Art as part of the Birmingham Festival of Arts, the mummy of an Egyptian female was brought to UAB for examination.  Officials used a CAT scan to examine the remains of the 2,000-year old woman, who became the “oldest patient” ever examined at University Hospital.

    Image ID:  P23.3, #572

  • February 2011 Image of the Month

    The county’s new hospital was constructed with over $2 million in federal funding and was dedicated in December of 1940.  It was called “the South’s finest private hospital.”  The first patient was admitted to Jefferson Hospital on February 1, 1941; he was a construction worker who had helped lay the building’s foundation.

    Image ID:  MC51, #127g

  • January 2011 Image of the Month

    A major winter storm brought snow and freezing rain to the Birmingham region and all UAB activities except for essential services were cancelled.

    Image ID:  P7.4.1, #0522