Dedication of Children's Hospital, 1961
April 2021 Image of the Month
On April 30, 1961, a dedication ceremony was held for the new Children's Hospital in the university medical center.  U.S. Senator Lister Hill (Ala.) was the featured speaker at the dedication.  Located on Sixth Avenue South, the $2.9 million hospital was a "new concept" in that it was built as a "complete hospital" for children from birth to the age of 18 years.  It was the only such institution in the state of Alabama and replaced an older facility located on 30th Street South.  Faculty, residents, staff, and students from the medical center have been connected to the hospital since it was first opened.

Image ID: P7.2..7, #1433