A Chronological History of
the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB)
and its Predecessor Institutions and Organizations, 1831-

(Please contact the UAB Archives for additional information.)

Copyright: The University of Alabama Board of Trustees.


The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) traces its roots to the 1859 founding of the Medical College of Alabama and the 1936 opening of the Birmingham Extension Center of the University of Alabama. In 1945 the Medical College of Alabama was moved from Tuscaloosa and the University's Medical Center was founded in Birmingham. In 1954 the Extension Center was moved to a newly constructed facility adjacent to the Medical Center, bringing together for the first time the University's two academic components in Birmingham.  Later, in November of 1966, the Extension Center and the Medical Center were administratively merged to form the "University of Alabama in Birmingham," an organizational component of the University of Alabama (in Tuscaloosa). In 1969 UAB became an independent institution, one of the autonomous universities within the newly created three-campus University of Alabama System.

Today, UAB is a comprehensive urban university with a nationally recognized academic health center. UAB is the only public, four-year degree granting university in the state's largest metropolitan area. UAB is the largest research institution in the state of Alabama and is the largest single employer in the state.

A comprehensive chronology of the history of the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) and its predecessor entities is found below.  Underlined and bolded items in this list may be selected to see portraits or photographs about the specific person or event.

Chronology last updated 20 December 2018.

1910: Dr. Edgar Poe Hogan became the first Hillman Hospital administrator, serving in a part-time capacity until 1930.

1910: The Birmingham Medical College merged with the Birmingham Dental College (which had opened in the fall of 1893) and was renamed the Birmingham Medical, Dental and Pharmaceutical College.

1911: Dr. George H. Denny became president of The University of Alabama and served until 1936.

1911: Dr. Eugene DuBose Bondurant became the fourth dean of the Medical College of Alabama.

1912: Dr. Lewis C. Morris, Sr., became the third dean of the Birmingham Medical, Dental and Pharmaceutical College.

September 12, 1912: The trustees of the proprietary Birmingham Medical, Dental and Pharmaceutical College transferred all land, buildings, and equipment to The University of Alabama Board of Trustees, who agreed to continue the school until the enrolled students completed their studies.

1913: Hillman Hospital Annex was completed.

May 27, 1915: The last class of 44 graduated from the Birmingham Medical College, and the program was terminated by The University of Alabama Board of Trustees.

October 2, 1915: Dr. Tucker Henderson Frazer became the fifth dean of the Medical College of Alabama.