• 1920s

    View images from the 1920s.

    January 1920: Dr. Alfred E. Thayer became acting dean of the medical school in Mobile. Dr. Thayer only served as acting dean through May.

    June 1920: Dr. Daniel T. McCall, Sr., became acting dean of the Medical College of Alabama.

    April 15, 1920: The University of Alabama Board of Trustees voted to “order the removal” of the medical school from Mobile to Tuscaloosa where the program would be reopened as a two-year preclinical school on the campus of the University.

    May 28, 1920: Ten graduates received M.D. degrees from the Medical College of Alabama in the last commencement ceremony held in Mobile. Eleven other graduates received the Bachelor of Science in Medicine degree and two students received degrees in pharmacy.

    1920: Medical College of Alabama was transferred from Mobile to The University of Alabama campus in Tuscaloosa where it was housed in a barracks building and reopened as a two-year basic sciences medical program.

    1920: Dr. Clyde Brooks became the first dean of the University of Alabama’s two-year medical school in Tuscaloosa.

    May 1921: The first two graduates received B.S. degrees in Medicine from The University of Alabama’s new two-year basic sciences medical program.

    1922: Hillman Hospital received its first accreditation.

    1922: Josiah Nott Hall was completed on the Tuscaloosa campus as a home to the two-year basic sciences medical program.

    September 1923: Jimmie Ethel Montgomery entered the medical school in Tuscaloosa as the school's first full-time female student.

    May 26, 1925: Jimmie Ethel Montgomery received a B.S. degree in Medicine from The University of Alabama, thus becoming the first female to graduate from the medical school.

    1927: The University of Alabama Board of Trustees granted alumni status to all graduates of the Birmingham Medical College.

    1928: Dr. Stuart Graves became the second dean of the University of Alabama’s two-year medical school in Tuscaloosa. He served until the school was moved to Birmingham in 1945.

    January 15, 1929: The New Hillman Building was dedicated.

    April 1929: Hillman Hospital School of Nursing Residence was dedicated.