• 1900-1909

    1900:When opened for the fall term, the Department of Pharmacy at the Medical College of Alabama had two female students working toward a PhG degree: Lela M. Semler and Esther Turner Colston.

    October 28, 1901:Ullman School opened. The building is one of the oldest structures remaining on the UAB campus.

    April 8, 1902:Esther Turner Colston received a PhG degree from the pharmacy program of the Medical College of Alabama in Mobile.

    July 12, 1902: Cornerstones were laid for the Birmingham Medical College and the Hillman Hospital.

    1902:Dr. John W. Abercrombie became president of The University of Alabama and served until 1911.

    1902: A one-story addition to the main building, housing the chemical laboratory, was completed at the Medical College of Alabama.

    July 15, 1903: Hillman Hospital was dedicated.

    February 28, 1905: Hillman Hospital Training School for Nurses graduated its first class. Elizabeth Hale of Birmingham was the program's first graduate.

    April 9, 1906: The graduating class at the Medical College of Alabama included international student Tawfik Lutaif of Syria.

    October 8, 1906: Dr. Rhett Goode became the third dean of the Medical College of Alabama.

    January 1907: The Board of Lady Managers transferred the deed of the hospital land to the Jefferson County Board of Revenue for the purpose of operating the Hillman Hospital.

    March 4, 1907: The Alabama Legislature amended the charter of the Medical College of Alabama (in Mobile) to definitely incorporate with and place the school under the control of The University of Alabama Board of Trustees. The legislation appropriated $45,000 to the school for repairs, renovations, improvements, and purchases and $5,000.00 annually for maintenance of facilities.

    March 6, 1907: The Mobile medical school dissolved its own board of trustees, and The University of Alabama Board of Trustees gained sole control over the Mobile program. The school was officially renamed as the University of Alabama School of Medicine.

    1908: A laboratory for comparative anatomy, a one-story wooden structure, was constructed on the property of the Medical College of Alabama, just north of the main medical building.

    1908: At the start of the academic year in the fall, the Birmingham Dental College had one female faculty member, Dr. Meta Tudor Halley, an 1892 graduate of the Pennsylvania College of Dental Surgery.