Exterior of the 1917 Clinic
January 2013 Image of the Month

In response to the growing epidemic, an outpatient clinic for AIDS patients was opened at UAB in January 1988. It was founded and first directed by Dr. Michael S. Saag. The clinic name originated from the building’s street address of 1917 5th Avenue South in order to protect the confidentiality of the patients.

Image ID: P23.3, #1419

Dr. Michael S. Saag presented the 34th annual Reynolds Historical Lecture, entitled "Thirty Years of AIDS," on February 22, 2013. For additional information see the Special Collections Lectures page.